Find your winter vitality with Spatone®!
When the winter months come around shorter, darker and colder days can leave us wishing that we could hibernate on the sofa for the duration while having to power through the Christmas party season! To add to our winter woes, it’s also typically seen as a time when we pick up more ailments in colder weather.
However don’t despair, there are easy ways you can help yourself achieve vitality and energy throughout winter months - here nutritionist Emma Wight-Boycott gives her top tips to be a winter warrior.
- Breakfast. Start your day with a healthy slow release breakfast which will keep you full of energy until lunch. Warming oats are a great way to start your morning, try topping with nuts or seeds and some seasonal winter fruit like apples, pears cranberries or dates.
- Vitamin B12. If you are lacking in energy, try upping your intake of vitamin b12 which helps release energy from the food that we eat. You can get vitamin b12 from meat, fish and dairy foods.
- Vitamin C. Most of us are already aware that the mighty Vitamin C plays a important role in the immune system and protecting of cells. Make sure that you’re getting enough vitamin c from your diet by adding foods like sweet potatoes, tomatoes, red peppers and citrus fruits in to your meals.
- Zinc. During the winter months we can come under attack from challenging viruses and bacteria that can cause cold and flu. To support your immune system eat plenty of food that contains zinc such as oysters, spinach and legumes
- Iron. People may not realise that a cause of low energy can be low iron levels. You can get iron from red meats, lentils and green leafy vegetables, but if you’re not getting your iron requirements through food sources alone consider taking a natural iron food supplement like Spatone Apple to maintain normal iron levels. Combining iron with Vitamin c, such as it is in Spatone Apple, increases the absorbtion of the iron and supports the normal function of the immune system – so it’s win win all round!
- Vegetables packed meals. Sometimes the winter months can make us reach for sugar laden ‘comfort foods’ that can be bad for both our waistline and our energy levels. However there are lots of winter foods that are both nutritious and comforting - roasted root vegetables are delicious and sweet, and soups packed with vegetables are great for lunch time, especially with lots of garlic or ginger.
- Relax. Take some time out to assess your lifestyle and habits. Overworking and having a lack of rest, exercise and sleep all tend to deplete our energy and our strength. This can leave us more vulnerable to outside influences. To achieve vitality over the winter months make sure you give yourself time to relax, exercise and try to get both good quality and quantity of sleep.
- Positivity. Stay positive and balanced. Healthy lifestyle and dietary habits, an optimistic attitude and basic care of our precious human body will support the optimal function of not only our immune system but our entire body.
Spatone Apple contains Spatone iron rich water sourced from the Welsh mountains of Snowdonia National Park – which can help top up iron levels whilst causing fewer of the unpleasant side effects often experienced with conventional iron food supplements[i]. Generally, iron is a very difficult mineral for the body to absorb. However, the iron naturally present in Spatone has been shown to be easily absorbed, with an average of 40% bioavailability[ii]. Food and iron food supplements typically have a 5-20%[iii] bioavailability. Furthermore, Spatone Apple is combined with natural apple concentrate, with the vitamin C helping the absorption of iron. Spatone is available from Boots and Holland & Barrett and priced at £10.55 for 28 sachets (4 weeks supply).
For more info visit www.spatone.com. It is important to follow a varied and balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy balanced diet
For press inquiries: If you would like any images or further information, please contact Ellie Marsh or at Nelsons on 020 8780 4273 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note to Editors:
Nelsons is the UK's leading manufacturer of natural healthcare products, with a long-standing commitment to supplying the highest quality natural healthcare products that meet all regulatory and quality standards. Their brands are recognised and sold in over 60 countries worldwide and include Rescue Remedy®, Bach™ Original Flower Remedies, Arnicare™, Nelsons Teetha®, Nelsons® Homeopathy, Spatone® and Nelsons Pure & Clear®.
[i] McKenna D, Spence D, Haggan SE, McCrum E, Dornan JC, Lappin TR. (2003) (2003). CLINICAL AND LABORATORY HAEMATOLOGY
[ii] Nelsons Nutritional Study – The significant impact of Spatone on Iron (2009)
[iii] Webster-Gandy J, Madden A, Holdsworth M Ed’s (2006) Oxford Handbook of Nutrition and Dietetics. Oxford University Press, Oxford.