Soothe your little one all year round
Although cold and flu season technically ends as we enter spring, these common viruses unfortunately do lurk around all year round. In fact a study found that one in three Brits will suffer from a summer cold[i]. Unfortunately, with children tending to carry more of the virus for longer, our little ones are most likely to catch a cold even though the weather is getting warmer[ii].
Summer colds can tend to be more intense than winter colds due to a family of viruses called enteroviruses which have a preference for warmer weather. Symptoms can include runny nose, nasal congestion and a nasty cough.[iii] Coughs and colds often come hand in hand, as coughs can develop from a cold when mucus trickles down the back of the throat causing irritation and coughing.
While coughs can be uncomfortable and irritating, sometimes even keeping babies and children up at night, it seems that parents normally don’t think it warrants a trip to the doctor – with a recent survey by Nelson’s Sootha revealing that over one third (38%) of us do not take our child to the GP with a cough[iv].
Nicola Joseph, registered health visitor, has these top tips to help relieve children over 12 months from the symptoms of a mild cough at home:
- Make sure the room that your child sleeps in is a comfortable temperature, you don’t want them getting either too hot or too cold.
- Try some steam therapy by sitting in the bathroom with a hot shower running. Your little one breathing in the steam will help clear airways. Always make sure that you take care around hot water.
- Keep your baby/child upright for periods of time to help move mucus.
- Try using a humidifier to help soften the air in the room.
- Try to help your child get lots of rest to recover.
- Increase, or at least keep up, their fluids.
- Give your little one lots and lots of cuddles to encouraging smiling and positivity.
- If symptoms worse or increase seek help from a GP.
There are many over the counter cough remedies that can help to bring relief to coughs for children and of which Nelsons Sootha is one.
You can also try to help bring gentle relief to coughs with Nelsons® Sootha®*, a soothing honey rich formula with zesty lemon and contains the 6c homeopathic potency of natural Bryonia to help bring gentle relief to coughs. Nelsons Sootha cough syrup is free of artificial colourings or flavourings and does not cause drowsiness. Suitable for children aged 12 months onwards. Bryonia, more commonly known as Bryony has been used in homeopathic tradition for the symptomatic relief of coughs. Homeopathy is a system of medicine which stimulates the body’s own natural healing processes.
Nelson’s Sootha costs £4.25 for 150ml and is available from Boots, Holland and Barrett, selected grocers, Lloyds pharmacies and all independent health food and pharmacy stores.
Always read the label.
* If you are concerned about any symptoms that your baby may have in particular if they have a fever please consult your doctor
For press inquiries: If you would like any images or further information, please contact Ellie Marsh at Nelsons on 020 8780 4273 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Notes to Editors:
Nelsons is the UK's leading manufacturer of natural healthcare products, with a long-standing commitment to supplying the highest quality natural healthcare products that meet all regulatory and quality standards. Their brands are recognised and sold in over 60 countries worldwide and include Rescue Remedy®, Bach™ Original Flower Remedies, Arnicare®, Teetha®, Nelsons® Homeopathy, Spatone® and Nelsons Pure & Clear®.
[iv] A survey conducted on 2015 UK adults, 14th-18th November 2013, by Atomik Research on behalf of Nelsons